Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cain announces he's suspending his campaign (AP)

ATLANTA ? The Cain train has come to a stop.

Herman Cain suspended his bid for the Republican presidential nomination on Saturday following a steady drumbeat of sexual misconduct allegations he said were harming his family and drowning out his ability to deliver his message.

With just one month to go until the lead-off Iowa caucuses, Cain's announcement is tantamount to a concession. Still, he told supporters, he planned to continue his efforts to influence Washington and announced "Plan B" ? what he called a grassroots effort to return government to the people.

Cain denounced the accusations of impropriety against him as "false and unproven" but said that they had been hurtful to his family, particularly his wife, Gloria.

"So as of today, with a lot of prayer and soul-searching, I am suspending my presidential campaign. I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distractions and the continued hurt caused on me and my family," a tired-looking Cain told about a 400 supporters.

It was a remarkable turnabout for a man that just weeks ago vaulted out of nowhere to the top of the GOP field, fueled by a populist, outsider appeal and his catchy 9-9-9 tax overhaul plan.

Saturday's event was a bizarre piece of political theater even for a campaign that has seemed to thrive on defying convention.

Cain marked the end of his bid at what was supposed to be the grand opening of his new campaign headquarters in Atlanta. Minutes before he took the stage to pull the plug with his wife, Gloria, at his side, aides and supporters took to the podium to urge attendees to vote for Cain and travel to early voting states to rev up support for his bid.

"Join the Cain train," David McCleary, Cain's Georgia director, urged the audience.

Cain said he would offer an endorsement in the near future and he predicted a scramble among Republicans in the field to win the backing of his conservative, tea party base.

Former GOP rivals quickly issued statements Saturday praising Cain's conservative credentials and appeal. His withdrawal could help those seeking to run as an alternative to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, seen by some as too moderate.

Cain's announcement came five days after an Atlanta-area woman claimed she and Cain had an affair for more than a decade, a claim that followed several allegations of sexual harassment against the Georgia businessman.

"Now, I have made many mistakes in life. Everybody has. I've made mistakes professionally, personally, as a candidate, in terms of how I run my campaign. And I take responsibility for the mistakes I've made, and I have been the very first to own up to any mistakes I've made," he said.

But Cain intoned: "I am at peace with my God. I am at peace with my wife. And she is at peace with me."

Cain, the former Godfather's Pizza chief executive who has never held elected office, rose just weeks ago to lead the volatile Republican race. But Cain fumbled policy questions, leaving some to wonder whether he was ready for the presidency. Then it was revealed at the end of October that the National Restaurant Association had paid settlements to two women who claimed Cain sexually harassed them while he was president of the organization.

A third woman told The Associated Press that Cain made inappropriate sexual advances but that she didn't file a complaint. A fourth woman also stepped forward to accuse Cain of groping her in a car in 1997.

Cain has denied wrongdoing in all cases, and continued to do so Saturday.

Polls suggest his popularity has suffered. A Des Moines Register poll released Friday showed Cain's support plunging, with backing from 8 percent of Republican caucusgoers in Iowa, compared with 23 percent a month ago.

But Cain said Saturday he would not go away and would continue trying to influence Washington from the outside,

He announced the formation of CainSolutions.com, which he said was a grassroots effort to bring government back to the people.

"I am not going to be silenced, and I am not going away. And therefore, as of today, Plan B. Plan B," he said.

_____

Follow Shannon McCaffrey: http://www.twitter.com/smccaffrey13

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/politics/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111203/ap_on_el_pr/us_cain

ndamukong suh ndamukong suh aptera aptera facebook ipo facebook ipo national defense authorization act

Monday, December 5, 2011

Peru anti-mine roadblocks lifted, government calls talks (Reuters)

LIMA (Reuters) ? Peruvian protesters opposed to a $4.8 billion gold mine project abandoned roadblocks on Saturday as government officials called weekend talks with regional leaders to try to resolve the conflict.

Earlier this week, U.S.-based Newmont Mining Corp agreed to a government request to stop work temporarily on the Conga mine after the protests turned violent.

The demonstrations in the northern region of Cajamarca, which included roadblocks designed to pressure the government to cancel the largest mining investment in Peru's history, started 10 days ago.

Local political leaders want President Ollanta Humala to stop the gold mine from being built, saying it would replace a string of alpine lakes with artificial reservoirs and cause pollution.

Protesters also have criticized Humala for moving too far to the right and for supporting the project, which would generate thousands of jobs and enormous tax revenues.

"The main access routes have been cleared after police went in and opened up the roads," regional government spokesman Segundo Mata said.

"There's access for vehicles, the situation has got back to normal and vehicles carrying fuel, food and tourists are passing," he said. The blockades around the city of Cajamarca had started to cause shortages of basic goods.

Protest leader Wilfredo Saavedra said mine opponents had agreed to dismantle the blockades. "Today, activity is normal in Cajamarca."

The unrest has challenged Humala, who campaigned on promises to steer more social spending to rural towns to help defuse social conflicts over natural resources while assuring companies they could move ahead with billions of dollars in mining and oil projects in Peru.

The administration of Humala, who has been trying for weeks to mediate in the conflict over water at the proposed mine, called regional officials and community leaders in for more talks on Sunday.

"We call on the people of Cajamarca not to let themselves be dragged into violent actions led by groups that don't want the population to prosper in peace and democracy," a government statement said.

Saavedra said protesters had not been invited to Sunday's proposed meeting with regional leaders.

The Conga project, which Newmont owns with Peruvian precious metals miner Buenaventura, would produce 580,000 to 680,000 ounces of gold a year and open in 2014.

It has gold deposits worth about $15 billion at current prices and sits 13,800 feet high in the Andes, about 600 miles north of Lima.

(Reporting by Teresa Cespedes; Writing by Helen Popper; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/world/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20111203/wl_nm/us_peru_newmont_conga

tashard choice amityville horror puss in boots the rum diary trailer the rum diary trailer nor easter nor easter

Steve Buscemi Hosts ?Saturday Night Live? (VIDEOS)

Steve Buscemi Hosts “Saturday Night Live” (VIDEOS)

Talented “Boardwalk Empire” actor Steve Buscemi hosted SNL this weekend, making light of his “creepy guy” roles. Buscemi joined in funny skits such as one [...]

Steve Buscemi Hosts “Saturday Night Live” (VIDEOS) Stupid Celebrities Gossip Stupid Celebrities Gossip News

Source: http://stupidcelebrities.net/2011/12/04/steve-buscemi-hosts-saturday-night-live-videos/

thanksgiving appetizers greg jennings thanksgiving recipes thanksgiving recipes mashed potato recipe mashed potato recipe cranberry sauce

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Thomson Reuters CEO to end decade-long reign

(AP) ? Thomson Reuters CEO Tom Glocer is stepping down and will be replaced by an executive with closer ties to the family that owns a controlling interest in one of the world's largest news and information companies.

The change in command, announced Thursday, will take effect Jan. 1 when James Smith becomes Thomson Reuters Corp.'s new CEO. It is Smith's second promotion of the autumn; he was promoted to chief operating officer in late September.

Thomson Reuters has been shaking things up during the past six months amid dissatisfaction with the performance of its markets division, which accounts for more than half of the company's revenue.

The company's overall earnings have risen this year. But the markets division, which primarily sells data and analytical tools to financial institutions, hasn't been growing fast enough to please investors. The company's stock price, which closed Thursday at $26.88, has dropped 29 percent so far this year.

The decline translates to a nearly $5 billion loss on paper for the Thomson family, which owns a 55 percent stake in the company through the Woodbridge Co.

Glocer's departure was described as a retirement. But Glocer, 52, didn't sound ready to leave in September when Smith was anointed as his heir apparent.

"I'm going to stay for a good long time to fix and thrive under this business," Glocer said in an interview with Reuters' own news service at that time.

In a Thursday statement, Glocer said he had achieved his goals. "By the end of this year, the organizational, strategy and budget work I have been leading will be complete, and the transition plan I launched last summer will have achieved its objectives," Glocer said. In addition to giving up the CEO job, Glocer is resigning from Thomson Reuters' board of directors at the end of the year.

Glocer became the first American to lead Reuters Group when he became CEO in 2001. He quickly won over investors by cutting thousands of jobs to boost the company's earnings and then oversaw improvements in its financial trading products to be more competitive with Bloomberg and Dow Jones, which is now owned by News Corp.

Those efforts helped lead to Reuters' sale to Thomson Corp. for about $16 billion in 2008. The Thomson family thought so highly of Glocer's performance that he became CEO of the combined company.

"Tom will be remembered as the individual who turned around Reuters 10 years ago, led the company to growth and guided its sale to form Thomson Reuters," company Chairman David Thomson said in a statement.

Smith, 52, has a long relationship with the Thomson family. He joined the Thomson Newspaper group in 1987, where he remained until 2000 when that business was sold. He then moved to the Thomson Corp., where he worked his way up to chief operating officer leading up to the Reuters deal.

David Thomson, the third generation of his family to be involved in the company, said Smith "has earned the respect and confidence of his colleagues and the board alike."

As part of its latest reorganization, Thomson Reuters is creating five business units whose top executives will report to Smith. They are: David Craig, president of financial and risk: Mike Suchsland, president of legal; Chris Kibarian, president of intellectual property and science; Brian Peccarelli, president of tax and accounting; and Shanker Ramamurthy, president of global growth organization.

Steven Adler, the top editor at Reuters news service, also will report directly to Smith. The news service has been expanding its coverage recently.

The changes at Thomson Reuters will result in a charge against its fourth-quarter earnings, according to the company. Excluding those charges, the company affirmed its guidance for that period.

Through the first nine months of this year, Thomson Reuters earned $1.2 billion on revenue of $10.2 billion. At the same point last year, the company had earned $708 million on revenue of $9.6 billion.

Associated Press

Source: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/f70471f764144b2fab526d39972d37b3/Article_2011-12-01-Thomson%20Reuters-CEO/id-2dc8b93454d34a31b0e280b5c6fa24c1

indiana jones and the last crusade nba lockout dramamine dramamine nba season we bought a zoo we bought a zoo

Now Facebook updates can be over 60,000 characters

Facebook

By Rosa Golijan

A Facebook status update could be up to 420 characters long in March 2009, 500 characters in July 2011, and 5,000 characters in September 2011.

But now? Now you can post status updates that are over 60,000 characters long, according to?Facebook's?Journalist Program Manager Vadim Lavrusik.?In case you're wondering how far over 60,000 you can go: The character limit is set at 63,206.

How'd Facebook come up with this ridiculously large, and unusual, character limit? Bob Baldwin, the software engineer who set the new number, explains:

Facebook

Don't worry if that flies over your head ??geeky calculations tend to require several cups of coffee and a bit of homework for most of us.

Live Poll

Should Facebook updates really be up to 63,206 characters long?

  • 169821

    Yes! I need all that space!

    10%

  • 169822

    63,206 characters? I need more!

    5%

  • 169823

    No! I don't want to see people write that much!

    43%

  • 169824

    Yes, but only if people are signed up for mandatory writing classes and grammar lessons.

    42%

VoteTotal Votes: 330

What you really should know is that this change means that you could theoretically post an entire novel in fewer than nine Facebook updates. (Assuming that the average novel is about 500,000 characters long.)?Alternatively, you could squeeze over 450 tweets, about 395 text messages, or one incredibly long rant into a single new text space.

No guarantees that your friends will read it though.

Related stories:

Want more tech news, silly puns, or amusing links? You'll get plenty of all three if you keep up with Rosa Golijan, the writer of this post, by following her on?Twitter, subscribing to her?Facebook?posts, or circling her?on?Google+.

Source: http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/01/9140900-now-facebook-updates-can-be-over-60000-characters

a christmas carol arkansas football player dies anne mccaffrey anne mccaffrey amazon promotional code artificial christmas trees bean bag chairs

Friday, December 2, 2011

After Rebranding, It?s Full Steam Ahead For MSN Offers For Schools

msnoffersschoolsMicrosoft has had their hands full with their daily deals program in recent weeks: they just finished overhauling the brand, and now that it's all done, some of their under-exposed initiatives can enjoy some time in the sunlight. Case in point: MSN Offers for Schools, the educational tie-in to the daily deals service you've probably never heard of.

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/MpVnxaOL5x0/

charlie daniels band charlie daniels band the thing carrie steve wozniak steve wozniak legarrette blount

Photo of the day: Lights over Niagara Falls

Romela Jover

Niagara Falls, Buffalo, N.Y.

Niagara Falls are certainly stunning during the daytime, but reader Romela Jover shows that the famous falls are also snap-worthy at night.

Do you like to take photos while traveling? Join our It's A Snap Facebook community by clicking here, and share your photos with others.

You can also submit your photos for a chance to be featured in our weekly It's A Snap gallery by clicking here. While you're there, vote on your favorite pic!

Related stories:

Source: http://todaytravel.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/30/9117393-photo-of-the-day-lights-over-niagara-falls

daniel day lewis patti stanger pasadena pasadena famu famu kellie pickler